Bicycle accidents are a common occurrence on roadways all over America. The NHSTA reported that there are approximately 55,000 claims filed for bike accidents every year. Some of the injuries could be severe as bikers are at a tremendous disadvantage when colliding with a vehicle. LEIP Law can provide you with an experienced bicycle accident attorney in Columbia, SC and the surrounding areas.
Common Causes For Accidents
There are many different causes of bicycle accidents as victims are usually subjected to some type of driver negligence. When that occurs, the liable party usually is forced to compensate the victim. That is done through either negotiation or litigation. Here is a look at some of the common reasons that lead to bicycle accidents:
- Ignoring cyclists who signals a turn
- Car turns left and hits an oncoming biker
- Rear ending a bicycle
- Veering into the bike lane
- Bike crash caused by damaged roadway
- Defective bike parts
- Driver was intoxicated
Dooring is another common cause of a bike accident and that occurs when a motorist opens his/her car door into the path of a cyclist. Many drivers also fail to see cyclists that are temporarily in their blind spot. While those actions may be unintentional, drivers are still responsible for any injuries or damage. And getting the compensation you deserve starts with a call to LEIP Law.
Experienced & Professional Legal Strategy
An attorney at LEIP Law will examine all the facts in your bicycle accident and devise a strategy to get you the highest amount of compensation. We know that injuries go beyond medical bills. They could lead to time off work, a decreased quality of life and a lot of pain and suffering. Our goal is to find out every facet of information that will get you the compensation you deserve. Here is a look at some of the things that go into the development of your own legal strategy.
- Right of way violation – Drivers are expected to follow the same right of way laws when sharing the road with cyclists.
- Underestimating speed – When crossing an intersection, drivers may neglect to correctly estimate the speed of a cyclist, leading to a collision.
- Turns – There are a number of ways drivers can be liable for a bicycle accident when making right and left turns.
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, seek out the assistance of the top bicycle accident attorney Columbia, SC has to offer with a phone call to LEIP Law.