The sanitation industry features one of the more dangerous workplaces in all of the United States. The dangers are great because many are unknown. When a sanitation worker is injured on the job in South Carolina, there is the option to collect workers compensation benefits. LEIP Law can assist sanitation workers in procuring these benefits and making sure they are adequately compensated for their injuries.
Common Sanitation Job Injuries
Sanitation work has its share of hazards, which means workers are expected to be extra cautious. However, the most cautious worker is still not immune to workplace accidents and injuries. Here is a look at some of the common injuries that could befall sanitation workers:
- Lacerations – There are countless occasions when sanitation work could lead to a laceration as there are so many sharp objects that workers encounter during a workday.
- Auto accidents – The nature of sanitation puts workers in harm’s way as motorists can be very negligent when passing a sanitation truck.
- Exposure to chemicals – Workers have no way of knowing what kind of hazardous chemicals are being lumped in during waste disposal.
- Trauma – Heavy objects could escape and collide with a worker, leading to unconsciousness and a potential brain injury.
- Slip and fall – There are a lot of slippery surfaces and unexpected obstacles standing in the way of a sanitation work and the completion of his/her job.
How to handle a work injury In Columbia SC
If you are a sanitation worker that has been injured on the job, the first priority is to seek immediate medical help. Your health and well-being is the most important thing. This applies to all injuries, no matter how minor they may seem. It is equally important to report the injury to your supervisor or employer. You have 90 days to reveal the injury, although it is better to let them know what happened right away. From there, you should collect all the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident. The more supporting evidence you can gather, the stronger your claim will be.
Columbia, SC Workers Compensation Attorneys For Sanitation
Not all states will grant workers compensation benefits to those employed in the sanitation industry. South Carolina is a state that grants workers compensation benefits, although getting those benefits takes specific steps. LEIP Law can take care of that process for sanitation workers and make sure every small detail is covered so that the highest amount of benefits are received.